- We want to hear from you!
- Macmillan Cancer Support
- Macmillan Living with and Beyond Cancer Programme
Macmillan Cancer Information and Support Centre
The Macmillan Information and Support Service at the Northern Care Alliance
Supporting patients in Bury, Oldham, Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale.
The Macmillan Information and Support Service is based at The Royal Oldham Hospital. We provide information and support on practical, emotional or financial issues for people affected by cancer. This may include:
- Emotional support – we can provide listening ear and referring on to other psychological support services if required
- Financial advice and support – including referrals to a local Macmillan benefits advisor
- Support for family members – including information for carers and referrals to local carer’s support. We can also make referrals and talk about services that support children
- Practical advice – including advice on housing, work or will writing
- Health and wellbeing information – information on diet, exercise and psychological wellbeing. We can also make referrals to local healthy living schemes or exercise referral programmes.
- Body image concerns – this might include worries about hair loss, weight loss, weight gain or scars. We provide a range of information or can refer on to specialised services for further support.
- Information on local support groups – we have information on support groups that are specific to certain types of cancer or those run by local cancer centres.
- Bereavement support – we can talk about the support on available for people struggling with bereavement. This includes practical information on things like bereavement payments as well as a listening ear. We can also refer or signpost to services that support children.
- Complementary therapies – these might include aromatherapy, massage or ‘Look Good Feel Better’ workshops.
- Community services – we can refer to services who may support people in the community such as Macmillan Oldham 1-1, local hospice wellbeing services or social prescribers.
- Information – we can provide information on a range of cancer related topics including all of the above as well as fatigue, specific treatment, side effects, diet, travel and insurance, and more. We can also provide information in other languages and formats such as Easy Read.
We provide can provide support to patients at The Royal Oldham Hospital, Fairfield General Hospital ad Rochdale Infirmary. Patients who are coming to an appointment or currently an inpatient at one of these hospitals can access support by calling 0161 656 1026. We also encourage ward contact us to request support for their patients. We can provide telephone support or ward visits at any of these hospitals.
Our service is open Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays) from 9am-4pm.
Telephone 0161 656 1026
Cancer patient user involvement – becoming a patient representative
We are continually recruiting for cancer patient representatives to join us to share their experience and views on cancer care and services within our hospitals. Being a patient rep is flexible and reps will be offered the opportunity to sit on panels (such as annual Quality Assurance), focus groups, develop patient information and shape changes to new and existing services. For more information or to get involved, please contact us on 0161 656 1026 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.