Welcome to Voluntary Services
Why volunteer for us?
Volunteering gives you the opportunity to give something back to the community. By giving just 5 hours a week of your time you could make a real difference to someone’s life. Volunteering provides you with a chance to gain and develop existing skills, make new friends and improve the overall experience for our patients, visitors and staff.
What you cannot do as a volunteer
As a hospital volunteer you cannot provide any kind of clinical support or assistance e.g. a carer’s role nor can you assist in the manual handling of patients. Assisted feeding is only permitted once full Trust training has been given. You will never be expected to assist a patient using the toilet or perform any type of bodily fluid cleaning duties.
Work experience - If you are looking for work experience (maximum 1 week mainly observational for 14-19 years olds to support their chosen career decisions and/or applications for university) then this is NOT done via voluntary services. Work experience is managed by a completely separate department/team who can be contacted via email only on firstname.lastname@example.org
Criteria to volunteer
- You must be aged over 16 and have left school.
- We only offer LONG TERM placements of 6-12 months or more. This is due to the cost of recruiting a volunteer and the mandatory recruitment checks and training both you and us need to undertake beforehand. We do not take on to cover school holidays.
- You need to be able to commit to a minimum of 1 session a week (maximum of 3) on a regular basis. A session is classed as 4/5 hours.
- Volunteering is NOT the same as work experience (see above).
- Work experience cannot be obtained via Voluntary Services.
Important Information - Please read before you apply
If your application is successful and you are shortlisted we will contact you and invite you to an interview. You will then be sent a health screening form and will need to bring specific ID with you in order for us to process your DBS (Police clearance) if required for the opportunity you are applying for. You will need to bring these documents with you on the day of your interview. Please also check your junk inbox for emails from us.
If successful at interview then we will:
- Book you onto a mandatory corporate welcome (Mondays 8.30 – 12 noon)
- Arrange the E-Learning link to be sent to your email account. There are 11 modules which need to be completed within a 30 day timescale.
- Obtain 2 character references from your two referees’. Please note that these cannot be a family member or any relation to you.
- Process your DBS (Police Clearance) – if required for the specific role you’re applying for.
To apply as a volunteer
If you are happy with all of the above and wish to pursue an application then please follow these instructions.
- Firstly, you will need to click the search button to view all our current volunteering opportunities and decide on which you are applying for – you will need to state this when prompted to do so in the application.
- Begin your application. You must state on your application which of the opportunities it is you are applying for (from the current volunteering opportunities list). Some volunteering opportunities do have age restrictions which are stated.
- You will receive notification that you are ‘not cleared to volunteer’. This is because at this stage you have only made an initial application. You will only be ‘cleared’ to volunteer if you have been successful and only once you are fully recruited (which can take between 6-8 weeks).
Please ensue you have read and fully understand ALL OF THE ABOVE BEFORE you begin your application.
If you are happy to proceed with an application, then please click here to begin the process.
We look forward to receiving your application.