It is with regret that, in light of the current situation in relation to Covid-19, the Northern Care Alliance (incorporating Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust and Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust) has taken the decision to suspend our work experience programme for the foreseeable future.
We are sure that you will understand that this decision ensures that we put the safety of you, our patients, staff and the wider public first and removes any non-essential additional pressure on our staff at this challenging time.
- If you have emailed us just now with a request for work experience or you are returning a work experience application form for processing we will not be progressing your request at this time and we will not be able to respond to your email.
Please be assured that we will be reviewing this position in the coming months and, based on advice, will reopen our programme as soon as it is safe to do so.
Thanks and stay safe!
The Widening Participation Team
The Northern Care Alliance NHS Group (which includes The Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, Salford NHS Foundation Trust and Fairfield General Hospital in Bury) offers placements to students from age 14 upwards.
- For those age 14-16 the work experience placement will support students who are considering a career in healthcare and may be part of formal high school work experience programme.
- For those age 16+ the work experience placement will support students who are seriously considering a career in healthcare and are seeking work experience to cement their career choice and to strengthen their applications for highly competitive university/higher education courses.
We offer a maximum of 1 week/5 days (Monday to Friday) work experience. Some departments can only offer 1,2 or 3 day placements.
Please note that our work experience placements are in very high demand so to give yourself a better opportunity to secure a placement it is important to apply well in advance.
To apply please email email@example.com. Please make sure that you include:
- Full name
- Date of birth and age
- Full home address including postcode
- Name and full address and postcode of school/college
- Potential dates available for work experience
- Area you are interested in doing work experience in (please research via our websites what services each of our hospitals offer)
Please note that 1 day clinical visits to the Radiology Department are only available to those who have applied to university in 19/20 to study a BSc in Radiography.
Paediatrics/ Children’s/A&E/midwifery areas students must be 18+ years. We do not offer placements in the Pathology labs or Mortuary.
Please note that this application process does not cover coordination of placements for the following:
- Commissioned placements for university students undertaking health care degrees (undergraduate or postgraduate)
- Clinical attachments (qualified doctors from overseas who wish to spend time observing doctors in the Northern Care Alliance)
- Medical, nursing and AHP student elective placements
- University students (typically 3rd year) seeking Industrial placement years/internships.
- Students (e.g. BTEC students at College) who require 50-100 hour placements to fulfil college course requirements.
- Nurse Cadets
- Trainee Nurse Associates