Pennine Acute Hospitals - Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Service
Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is a confidential service that provides help, advice and information for patients, families and carers covering Fairfield General Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary and North Manchester General Hospital.
PALS is here to:
- Help our patients and families find answers to questions or concerns regarding their care or treatment.
- Provide patients and carers with information, advice or support.
- Help to resolve concerns quickly by liaising with staff and managers.
- Refer our patients and carers on to external agencies or specialist advocacy services, where this is appropriate.
PALS seeks to promote the importance of listening to patient enquiries and concerns. To support this, the PALS team work closely with staff who have direct contact with patients, their families and carers, providing help and information and will try to address any issues of concern.
Understanding the Health Service and all its complexities can be daunting and finding answers can sometimes be difficult.
Will my care be affected by contacting PALS?
The care you receive will not be adversely affected by speaking to PALS or raising a complaint.
What to do first
If you have a problem or issue relating to your clinical care and treatment now, you should always talk to your Consultant, nurse or other staff in the ward/department/clinic. They are the best people to help deal with current problems. PALS can then be contacted if they cannot resolve the problem for you.
Services provided by PALS
- The PALS team can provide you with information, confidential advice about the Trust, help with any other health related enquiry and an opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
- Help you to clarify your problems and look at the options available to resolve them.
- Give you details of places where further health and information can be obtained.
- Provide information about the NHS complaints procedure and advice about making a formal complaint if this is necessary.
- Advise you about the role of independent advocacy services and how to contact them.
- PALS also help the Trust to improve services by listening to what matters to patients, their relatives and carers and making changes when appropriate.
What can't PALS do?
PALS cannot provide advocacy, counselling, diagnosis or medical advice. However, they can speak on your behalf to the people that can provide these services. PALS are able to contact clinical staff and departments in order to obtain information or investigate your concerns and then relay this information back to you verbally.
PALS do not provide detailed written response to your concern or complaint. If you want a detailed written response, you will need to contact the Complaints Department, which is based at NMGH (if you are making a complaint on behalf of someone else their written consent will be required before an investigation is commenced). The complaints department can be contacted on 0161 604 5800 or alternatively please visit the complaints section of the website.
How to contact the PALS service for Pennine Acute Hospitals?
Call 0161 604 5897 between 09.30 hours and 16.30 hours Monday to Friday or drop into one of the PALS offices on each hospital site.
You can also email email@example.com - Alternatively you can write to: PALS, IM&T Building, North Manchester General Hospital, Delaunays Road, Crumpsall, M8 5RB.
PALS office locations
These are located in the following places:
- North Manchester General Hospital - The PALS Office is located on the main corridor near to General Office.
- The Royal Oldham Hospital - The PALS Office is located at the Main Entrance to the hospital.
- Fairfield General Hospital - The PALS Office is located at the Main Entrance to the hospital.
- Rochdale Infirmary - The PALS Office is located in the out-patient department