Neonatal Unit level 2 - North Manchester General Hospital
Who is the service for?
Sick and / or preterm newborn babies or babies who require additional support immediately or shortly after birth.
What does the service provide?
Provides short term intensive care for those babies requiring the support of a Local Neonatal Unit. Preterm or sick babies who require longer term intensive care will be transferred to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at The Royal Oldham Hospital or another Level 3 unit within Greater Manchester. The unit also provides high dependency and special care for babies who no longer require intensive care.
Who will patients meet?
- Neonatal Nurses / Midwives – Specialist Nurses trained in the care of sick and premature babies
- Neonatal Health Care Assistant / Nursery Nurses – Health care assistants or Nursery Nurses who support the nursing staff and have specific training to care for sick and premature babies
- Neonatal House Keeper – House keepers who help support the unit by ensuring the unit is clean and tidy and stocked with all necessary
- Paediatricians – Consultants who are trained in the care and management of sick children and babies
- Registrars / Junior Doctors – Doctors who will be working with the Paediatrician in managing the babies on the unit
- Ward Clerk / receptionist – Staff who provide the necessary clerical support to the unit, often answering the telephone and main entrance greeting you as you come onto the unit.
- Neonatal / Peadiatric Pharmacist – A specialist pharmacist who supports the unit
- Physiotherapist – A physiotherapist who has specific skills in managing the problems associated with sick and preterm babies
- Dietician – A dietician who is trained to look after the nutritional need of sick and premature babies
- Radiographer – A member of staff who may come to the unit to take your babies x-ray with the x-ray machine located on the unit
- Hearing Screeners – Members of hearing screening team who provide hearing screening on the unit.
- Domestic staff – Members of the domestic team who work regularly on the unit ensuring its cleanliness
When is the service available?
24 hour service.
Where is the service provided?
K Block, Main entrance C, Ground floor North Manchester Hospital.
Department contact details
Karen Hulley Sister / Neonatal Unit Manager 0161 625 8227.
Yvonne Tunstall - Divisional Nurse Manager
Kath Leighton - Directorate Manager
Dr Bratati Bose-Haider - Clinical Director / Consultant Peadiatrician
Ian Yates - Neonatal Lead Nurse
Karen Hulley - Sister / Unit Manager