Who is the service for?
The Pennine Acute Library Service is one service provided across all four sites. It exists to meet the information needs of ALL Pennine Acute staff and students in training. The service welcomes queries submitted in person, by telephone, or via e-mail.
What does the service provide?
The service provides a range of resources including 2500+ e-journals, 750+ e-books, 32,000 books, reports, CDs, DVDs and access to research databases. We also provide information skills training and a literature searching service. Our libraries also offer open access to computers, printers, photocopiers and scanners.
Who will patients meet?
Patients are unlikely to meet members of the Library team.
When is the service available?
The service is available from 08:30am - 16:30pm. Please check the library section of the website for details of opening times on each hospital site.
Where is the service provided?
- The Royal Oldham Hospital – the library is located on the ground floor of the Education Centre (opposite J block).
- Fairfield General Hospital – the library is located on the first floor of the Education Centre.
- North Manchester General Hospital – the library is located on the ground floor of the Post Graduate Medical Education Centre.
Department contact details
Library Services are located at three sites across the Trust. The main contact numbers are displayed below:
- Bury - 0161 778 2422 (ext 82422)
- Oldham - 0161 627 8463 (ext 75160)
- North Manchester - 0161 720 2718 (ext 42718)
Library services to Rochdale Infirmary staff are now supplied remotely.
- A member of the library staff will tour the hospital on Tuesday mornings, delivering books and photocopies of articles requested and collecting search requests, and payment for photocopy requests.
- Books ready for return should be placed in the wooden book return box, situated in the education centre on level D outside room D4.
Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm you have placed books in the box.
- Requests for literature searches can be made online by following the instructions on the Search Request Service, a link to which may be found on the blue menu at the top left of this page
- Requests for books can be made by telephone to the library concerned. An online library catalogue (Heritage) can be found on the Library Catalogues link on the blue menu.
- Location situated on the first floor of the Education Centre at Fairfield Hospital
- Address Education Centre Library, Fairfield General Hospital, Rochdale Old Road, Bury BL9 7TD
- Telephone Number 0161 778 2422
- Fax Number 0161 778 2421
- Email email@example.com
- Opening Hours Mon-Thurs 8.30 am - 4.30 pm, Fri 8.30 am - 4.00 pm.
- Staff Librarian: Sue Steele, E-learning and Library Systems Manager: John Bramwell, Library Assistants: Beckie Stansfield, Mohammed Towhasir
- Location situated on the ground floor of the Education Centre facing Fountain Gardens
- Address Education Centre Library, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Road, Oldham, OL1 2JH
- Telephone Number 0161 627 8463 or ext 75160
- Fax Number 0161 778 5915
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org, John.Addison@pat.nhs.uk
- Opening Hours Mon- Fri 8.30 am - 5.00 pm.
- Staff Librarian: John Addison, Assistant Clinical Librarian: Jo Whitcombe, Library Assistant: Lorraine Webb.
- Location situated on the ground floor of the Postgraduate Medical Centre (The Red House) at the bottom of Central Drive
- Address Postgraduate Medical Centre, North Manchester General Hospital, Delaunays Road, Crumpsall, Manchester M8 5RN
- Telephone Number 0161 720 2718/2722
- Fax Number 0161 720 2443
- Email email@example.com, Deborah.Dunton@pat.nhs.uk
- Opening Hours Mon - Thurs 8.30 - 5.30, Fri 8.30 - 4.30.
- Staff Librarian: Deborah Dunton, Online Resources Librarian: Patrick Glaister, Library Assistant: David Lord
24 Hour Access:
Out of hours library access arrangements vary for each site:
- Bury (Fairfield Hospital) - Users need a Fairfield ID badge to swipe into the library via the side door.
- Royal Oldham - Users pay a deposit for an out-of-hours swipe card. These cards may be obtained from the library. Note: cards will only be activated for 1 week at a time.
- North Manchester - 24 Hour access is not available at this site but there is late night opening until 8pm on Wednesdays.