Who is the service for?
Adults 16+ yrs
Our patients are referred to us by GP’s and sometimes other consultants or are admitted as emergencies through the Emergency Department.
We see patients with a wide variety of problems relating to the gastroenterological conditions
- Heartburn or oesophagitis
- Ulcers that affect the stomach or duodenum gallstones
- Inflammatory bowel conditions such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Coeliac disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Liver Disease
- Nutritional problems
What does the service provide?
The service investigates and treats gastrointestinal disorders.
Diagnostics may include:
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP)
Treatment may include:
- insertion of Colonic, Pancreatic and Biliary stents
- Banding of oesophageal varices
- Removal of polyps
- Onward referral for specialist cancer treatment
Who will patients meet?
- Consultant Gastroenterologists
- Senior Gastroenterology Clinicians – experienced Gastroenterology doctors working alongside consultants in the delivery of investigations and treatments.
- Gastroenterology nurse specialists – senior nurses with experience in gastroenterology
- Nurse Endoscopists – nurses trained to provide diagnostic scopes, listed above
- Endoscopy nurses – nurses trained to assist in diagnostic and therapeutic scopes
When is the service available?
Elective services available Monday – Friday 9am – 5.30pm
Inpatient elective and emergency services 24 hours 7 days a week.
Where is the service available?
- North Manchester General Hospital – elective inpatients, emergency admissions, outpatients clinics, diagnostics
- Fairfield General Hospital – Endoscopy Services, outpatients clinics, Rochdale Infirmary – Endoscopy services, outpatients clinics
- Royal Oldham Hospital – Endoscopy services, outpatient clinics, emergency admissions and inpatient ward
- Rochdale Infirmary – Endoscopy Services, outpatient clinics
Please bring a list of current medications to all appointments/admissions.
If you are listed for a scope at one of the endoscopy units, you will be given instructions about bowel preparation.
- Dr X McFarlane Consultant Gastroenterologist and Clinical Director
- Dr A Abbasi, Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr R George, Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr H Klass, Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr J Limdi, Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr R Prudham, Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr B Rameh, Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr R Sharma, Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr S Shabbir, Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr A Dawood, Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr M Afzal, Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Rebecca Mercer, Directorate Manager
- Diane Coulter, Specialist Nurse
- Lynne Kendrick, Specialist Nurse