New easy access PALS rolled out at Pennine Acute
PATIENTS and relatives being cared for at services run by The Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust now have improved access to advice and information following the launch of a new front of house Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).
Four new PALS offices have opened at the Trust’s four main hospitals; North Manchester General Hospital, The Royal Oldham Hospital, Fairfield General Hospital in Bury, and Rochdale Infirmary.
The PALS offices are located at the hospitals’ main entrances and are manned by four PALS officers, two of whom are new posts.
Each office location is well signposted and patients and staff will be able to identify the PALS officers by their new uniform.
Originally the Trust’s PALS was only accessed in person by visiting that office or by calling 0161 604 5897. While it is still possible to contact PALS via the telephone number, the service has now been greatly expanded to enable patients to speak with a PALS officer on the main hospital premises.
John Culshaw, head of complaints, PALS and legal services at The Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust said:
"We have listened to patients and their relatives, and following a review of our PALS we have re-launched it, which will make it easier for patients and their families to access the support and advice that they need. Standardising the PALS operation across our hospitals will make it easier for us to be caring and compassionate when dealing with our patients and their families, and it will improve our communication with them.”
The new PALS service was launched following a Trust review which found that the service would benefit from additional staff and by being more accessible for patients and the public.
PICTURED (LEFT TO RIGHT): Sue Hill and Fiona Szelesi, PALS officers at the Trust
The three main functions of PALS are:
- to resolve the concerns of patients and visitors quickly without the need to go through the formal complaints process
- to provide information about local health services and to signpost people to other appropriate services e.g. social services, NHS direct, relevant voluntary sector organisations and patient groups
- to use the feedback from patients to support changes that will lead to service improvements and a better experience for patients and their families
How to contact PALS
Call 0161 604 5897 between 09.30 hours and 16.30 hours Monday to Friday or drop into one of the new front of house PALS offices at each hospital. Opening hours are:
- North Manchester General Hospital - 09.30 hours - 16.30 hours Monday to Friday
- The Royal Oldham Hospital - 09.30 hours - 16.30 hours Monday to Friday
- Fairfield General Hospital - Monday, Tuesday 09.30 hours - 16.30 hours, and until 12.00 hours on Wednesdays
- Rochdale Infirmary – 30 hours - 15.30 hours Tuesday to Friday
You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively you can write to: PALS, IM&T Building, North Manchester General Hospital, Delaunays Road, Crumpsall, M8 5RB.
PALS office locations
These are located in the following places:
- North Manchester General Hospital - The PALS Office is located at the Main Entrance to the hospital. Follow signs for Way Out, Main Entrance. Level 0.
- The Royal Oldham Hospital - The PALS Office is located at the Main Entrance to the hospital. Follow signs for Way Out, Main Entrance. Level 0.
- Fairfield General Hospital - The PALS Office is located at the Main Entrance to the hospital. Follow signs for Way Out, Main Entrance. Ground Floor, Red Zone.
- Rochdale Infirmary - The PALS Office is located at the Main Entrance to the hospital. Follow signs for Way Out, Main Entrance. Level B.