Medical and Dental Education Undergraduate
Application pack for an undergraduate elective placement (Medicine / Dentistry)
Medical electives were instituted as part of the medical curriculum in the 1970s and, for many students, are one of the highlights of undergraduate medical or training. Electives can be undertaken anywhere in the world. The Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust (the Trust) frequently receives requests from undergraduates to spend time in the Trust. Increasingly, undergraduate dental students are also undertaking elective placements as part of their studies. Most students complete their elective during their fourth or fifth year at medical / dental school, and it may last between 4-8 weeks.
Students at United Kingdom medical schools
There is no requirement on the Trust to offer an elective facility to undergraduate students external to the University of Manchester, which has no formal elective programme linking the University with local hospitals offering electives.
However, the Trust, as part of the UK medical school training programme, is pleased to offer complementary visiting student electives to undergraduate medical students from UK medical schools who have completed a minimum of 3 years of a medical degree programme (excluding an intercalated BSc degree) and including 12 months of clinical study. These placements are spent within clinical units across the Trust.
Students from non-United Kingdom medical schools
Students from outside the UK are also welcome to make enquiries about carrying out elective placements at the Trust. A non-refundable administration fee of £75 is required on application. Details of paying this fee are as follows:
Royal Bank of Scotland - account name is The Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust.
Sort code: 60-70-80 account number: 10010769 please quote reference PKM113 43001900 and your full name (without this reference your application cannot be processed).
Swift Code NWBKGB2L
Contact Accounts Receivable on 0161 918 4987 have your card details to hand, state that you wish to pay the administration fee for an undergraduate medical elective placement and quote reference PKM113 43001900 (without this reference your application cannot be processed).
Elective placements are offered for a minimum of 4 weeks and a maximum of 8-week blocks. Only one elective placement may be spent at the Trust during a student’s undergraduate course. As the department receives many enquiries, enquiries with incomplete information will not be considered.
- A minimum of 3 months’ notice is required before the requested start date of an elective in order to process applications.
- Elective periods of study are for undergraduate medical and dental students studying at a recognised medical school.
- Applications will only be accepted from undergraduate medical and dental students in their fourth year of study or later.
- Elective periods of study are for a minimum of four weeks and a maximum of 8 weeks.
- Students are only permitted to undertake one period of elective study at the Trust.
- Incomplete applications will be automatically rejected.
- Submission of an application, even if supported by a signed Consultant Agreement Form (UG 3), does not guarantee approval for a period of elective study. The Director or Assistant Director of Medical and Dental Education (Undergraduate) will consider all applications, and will then make the final decision whether to approve an application.
- Students should not make any travel, accommodation, visa or other arrangements (or incur any other costs related to their application) until they have received formal notification from the Director or Assistant Director of Medical and Dental Education (Undergraduate) that their application has been approved. The Trust cannot reimburse students for any expenses incurred should the application not be approved.