Research is exceptionally important within the NHS, not only for patients who are unwell, but also for the improvement of care and experience for all patients. The Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust provides care for a population of around 820,000 people, and is extremely committed to providing as many patients as possible with a chance to participate in high quality research. Providing opportunities to participate in research also supports our commitment to on-going improvement and providing the best quality care for our patients.
Research is conducted across all four hospital sites: Fairfield General Hospital, North Manchester General Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and the Royal Oldham Hospital. Our research department is made up of dedicated, compassionate staff, who are committed to delivering innovative, high quality research for our patients. We have over 100 research active consultants, supported by a variety of research staff, including Research Nurses, Research Practitioners, Research Midwives, Pharmacy staff, Clinical Trial Coordination staff, and the Research Management & Governance (RM&G) team. We have an excellent reputation, both globally and within the UK, and have won several awards highlighting varying successes within the department. We have over 250 actively recruiting research studies, and are continuously opening new studies to give as many of our patients as possible the chance to participate in high quality research, and improve the care of future patients with innovative, evidence-based ideas.
To see a full staff list please follow this link.
To see which clinical areas are research active, please go to the Our Research page.
In the past year, our Trust has:
- Recruited 4,869 patients into research studies
- Opened 157 new studies, 32% of which were Clinical Trials using an Investigational Medicinal Product (CTIMPs)
- Recruited the first UK patient into seven different studies
- Recruited the first global patient into a study
- Won two awards at the Greater Manchester Clinical Research Awards 2015, and received runner up in two further categories
- Been selected as a finalist in the Research Site Category of the International Clinical Researcher of the Year 2016 Awards
- Had three Principal Investigators (PIs) shortlisted for the NIHR CRN Commercial PI recognition event
Our quick set up time to open new studies has ensured that we have developed an excellent reputation with our external partners. Here’s what sponsors say about us:
- “Thank you very much for the swift & smooth processes for granting this R&D approval.”
- “…congratulations on becoming the new record holders in terms of the time taken to get your site open. Very impressive!”
- “I have a high regard for your R&D team’s prompt response for study set-up.”
- “Thank you for your swiftness at approving our study, if only all NHS R&D depts. were as efficient as you have been.”
- “It is a pleasure to work with such a proactive R&D and study team.”